About us and our house

Our Gasthof Hotel Zum Ochsen is a cosy family-run hotel in the heart of the beautiful Swabian Alb region.

The history of the house can be traced back to 1768 and is now being run by the tenth generation.

The traditional farm looks back on eventful centuries. Over time, the main focus was increasingly directed towards gastronomy and the hotel business, so that the former farm was steadily reduced in size.

Nevertheless, the connection to nature and the environment is still clearly noticeable. Thus, we still process products from our own cultivation in our restaurant, because the quality of the products is a very important aspect.

In addition, we set soothing accents throughout the hotel with natural materials and real wood floors.

We combine innovative thinking and action with traditional and regional offers. The wishes of our guests are always at the centre of our attention. For us as a team, it is very important that you arrive with us and feel comfortable from the first moment.

We look forward to welcoming you as a new guest and thank all guests and regulars for their loyalty and attachment to the company.

Your family Deschenhalm with the whole Ochsen team.

You may also be interested in the following:

Nachhaltigkeit – was uns noch wichtig ist 

Woodchip plant

Today, the hotel's own woodchip plant supplies the entire hotel building with up to 300 Kw/h. This measure was taken in 2015 to counteract the ever-increasing energy costs.

80% of the biomass is cut from the company's own forests, the remaining 20% is purchased in the form of waste wood from the local sawmill.

Should the system ever fail, a 400 Kw/h gas heater is always on "standby" as an emergency supply, waiting to be used.

We do not attach importance to environmental certificates or other certificates/awards. Our basic idea is reason enough to treat our environment and resources with care.

Products from the region

Short delivery routes and regionality do not need to be described at length for us. We have been cultivating and processing products from the region since time immemorial. Our potatoes are still planted and harvested by ourselves. So we look forward to potatoes from our own cultivation all year round.

We produce traditional products such as Swabian apple cider and schnapps from traditional varieties that are already almost dead. Just come by and try a fine glass of our traditional Gelbmöstler distillate.


You can reach us at

Phone 07344 / 9609-0